Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"It's all about location, location, location."


"Good news everyone" as Professor J. Farnsworth would put it. In this case it's something awesome. I just checked my TaLK account and I've been placed at an elementary school! I'm going to be teach at 이평초등학교 (Ipyong Elementary School) for a whole year. That's exciting news and I look forward to experiencing new things. I know I will be missing a few people, but I'm okay with that. I'm on to bigger and better things!

Anyways, these two paintings were done 2 days ago on my front yard again. One is a plant that my parents grew and i have no idea what it's called. The second painting is the rooftop of my neighbor's house. I haven't officially introduced myself to them as I am seldom home. Not that it matters anyways, I'm leaving in two weeks.
Here's a few realizations when I was was self-reflecting these past few days. I've realized that
a)
I don't understand color and how it works at all. Also, i can never get the color right. I know people say practice, but it'll be great if there's guidance. Guess I'll have to be a Master Colorist the hard way.
b)I need to find a way to be motivated instead of constantly being lackadaisical .
c) I have no flavor. I hate to admit it, but my work is usually influenced by something I see and is hardly ever original. I wouldn't call it plagiarism, but there are certain things that I know I borrowed. Not just that but to me, my art style seems so plain. My rudimentary aethetics are so booooring. You might think that I'm just drawing attention, but it's a legitimate concern of mine.
d)I am very bad at realizing/analyzing what I see and process. Art can resonate with me and I know when it's good art or bad art (according to my personal preferences, anyways), but I can't always pinpoint why it resonates. Either a lot of people at college can see it and I can't, We're all on the same page, but I'm willing to admit it, or they're full of it and can talk their way out of a paper bag (I've seen many of these types). It's safe to say I'm confused.

So far, my proposed solutions to these problems are:
a)Study and observe alot more which leads to
b)I have no clue how to be motivated. I may just have to wing it.
c)
It might be counter intuitive, but I might have to "steal" a lot of things I like about art and fuse it into a piece of metal, which then would be refined and forged into a sword.
d)
Perhaps I should start critiquing a lot more.

Of course, this is just referring to my artistic abilities. My personal list is elsewhere and that's only for me. Possibly a therapist. maybe.

But enough about that, here's a shot of the school I'll be going to:wooo! Looks kinda barren and rather cold, but I'm a bear.

-Mr. Tea





1 comment:

  1. Wow you are a really good artist...or at least I don't know much about art haha...I like how you sit outside and do your work...sounds peaceful!

    ReplyDelete